Our mission is to provide a dynamic website to allow Toastmasters members to record each members’ progress through the educational program and plan their future activity in that program.
This website is developed, supported and financed by Toastmaster members for use in our own club. All support and development is provided by volunteers who are unpaid.
When you register with us, you gain access to a wide range of tools and services to track and plan your progress through the Toastmasters educational program. To deliver these resources and benefits seamlessly, we at times need to share your information with other Toastmasters, for example members of your Club, and District. We always do this with a focus on keeping your data secure.
Collection of Personal Data
In order to provide our products, services and website and for the other purposes set out in Use of Information below, we collect and process personal data from our members, visitors, and other users of our website, products and services. We may collect information from you such as, but not limited to, your name, email address, mailing address, phone numbers, and information about your use of our website (“Personal Data“). You are not required to provide us with all of the Personal Data listed above, but if you do not do so, we may not be able to effectively provide you with our products, services and information. In certain circumstances, you will need to provide us with specific categories of Personal Data (including name, email address, and contact details) in order to use the website.
From time to time and as permitted by applicable law(s), we may collect Personal Data about you and update any existing Personal Data that we currently hold.
See “Use of Information” section below for details regarding the ways that we use and process your personal data.
Use of Information
Your Personal Data may be used in the following ways:
- To provide our services to you and your club or District
- Internal purposes, such as website and system administration or internal audits and reviews
- To provide access to restricted parts of our websites.
- To respond to your requests and inquiries
- To request your participation in surveys, focus groups, or other initiatives which help us to gather information used to develop and enhance our services
- For meeting scheduling, administration and registration purposes
- To comply with applicable law(s) (for example, to comply with a search warrant, subpoena or court order) or to carry out professional ethics/conduct investigations
- From time to time we may provide statistics about the usage levels of the Site and other related information to reputable third parties, but these statistics will not include information which will allow you to be identified
- We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties under any circumstances unless we are required by law to do so.
We will process your Personal Data for the purposes identified above on the following bases:
- Our legitimate interests, which include processing such Personal Data for the purposes of providing and enhancing the provision of our services and information, as well as advertising further services and information to you.
- Where such processing is necessary to perform our service with you or your club.
- As necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes and enforce our contractual agreements.
Unless a longer retention period is required by applicable law, we will retain your information for as long as your account is active, as well as for a short additional period afterwards to cover any outstanding issues or queries that may arise in relation to your account and allow you to return to membership in the future with your previous educational accomplishments still in place. This period of retention is subject to our review and alteration.
Controlling your personal information
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information by going to your personal profile:
- You may chose to restrict or disclose information such as your name or phone numbers.
- Remove your connection to any club where you no longer wish to retain it.
- You may request full details of all information we hold about you.
- You may also opt to be “Forgotten” – remove all your data from our platform and/or easy-Speak. Note that this will also remove membership of our club also on easy-Speak and cannot be reversed if you change your mind.
Sharing and Disclosure to Third Parties We may disclose your Personal Data to third parties from time to time under the following circumstances:
- You request or authorise the disclosure of your personal details to a third party.
- The information is disclosed as permitted by applicable law(s) and/or in order to comply with applicable law(s) (for example, to comply with a search warrant, subpoena or court order).
- The information is disclosed to your employer, university or tuition provider in the event they have an interest in your data (e.g. they support your membership fees).
- Hosting providers for the secure storage and transmission of your data
- Database software providers for the management and tracking of your data
- Legal and compliance consultants, such as external counsel, auditors
- Payment solution providers for the secure processing of payments you provide to us
- Technology providers who assist in the development and management of our web properties
- Our volunteers who perform various functions on our behalf
Collection of Information Through Cookie Use
The following types of cookies may be used on our websites:
- Essential Cookies: These cookies are necessary for our website to work properly. They are usually only set in response to actions you take such as logging in or completing online forms. You can set your browser to block or alert you about these cookies, but some parts of our site will not function if these cookies are blocked.
- Functionality Cookies: These cookies enhance the functionality of our website by storing your preferences (such as your preferred language or the club or meeting that you are in) and allow us to provide enhanced features on our sites such as videos. These cookies may be set by us or by third-party content that we have placed within our pages. If you do not allow these cookies, some of the features on our website may not function properly and you may not receive a personalised experience when visiting our site.
- Performance Cookies: These cookies allow us to count page visits and traffic sources so we can measure and improve the performance of our site. They help us to understand which pages are visited most frequently and how visitors interact with our site. Any information collected by performance cookies is aggregated and therefore not identifiable. If you do not allow these cookies we will not receive data related to your visits to our sites.
If you opt in to use the “Remember me” feature on our website, we will place a persistent cookie on your hard drive and you will not be required to log in for every session. By disabling cookies on your machine or clearing your browsing history you may deactivate the persistent cookie.
All major browsers allow you to block or delete cookies from your system. To learn more about your ability to manage your preferences related to cookies, please consult the privacy features within your browser.
Further information about cookies:
- How to manage your preferences related to targeted advertising
- How to control cookies in your browser on aboutcookies.org
We strive to provide you with relevant and useful information related to our services and news. You can update your communication preferences at any time by visiting the personal tab within your online profile on our website. Additionally, any promotional emails that we send will include a link at the bottom of the email to unsubscribe.
Transfer of personal data internationally
All data are hosted within the European Economic Area (EEA) and we do not transfer data outside the EEA.
We have implemented appropriate safeguards for the data we retain. These safeguards include implementing standard data protection clauses which have been approved by the European Commission.
Security and Other
We use reasonable measures to strive to safeguard and secure the personal data we collect. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. Technology, such as, but not limited to, Transport Layer Security (TLS) and Secured Socket Layer (SSL), is used to enhance security and reduce risk of loss. Our security practices, processes or technology do not guarantee absolute security of your information and you should take all normal personal precautions such as, but not limited to, not sharing passwords, closing browsers, and not using public networks (e.g., internet cafes, etc.).
Parents and Children
We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13. Parents have the right to terminate the registration of a child under the age of 13 by contacting us using the information listed at the bottom of this policy.
Subject Access/User Rights
As a user, you are subject to the following rights:
- The right to be informed of the use of your Personal Data
- The right to access and/or to require the correction or erasure of your Personal Data
- The right to block and/or object to the processing of your Personal Data
- The right to not be subject to any decision based solely on automated processing of your Personal Data
- In limited circumstances, you may have the right to receive Personal Data in a format which may be transmitted to another entity.
If you are located in the European Union, you can find the details of your local supervisory authority here.
You may seek to exercise any of these rights by updating your information online (where possible) or by sending a written request to our Data Protection Officer using the contact details listed below:
Data Protection Officer